We are looking for a Volunteer Bookkeeper specialist to provide support to the accounting department of an NGO that builds and installs Biosand Water Filters in rural villages of Cambodia.
The Volunteer Bookkeeper Specialist will be responsible for Improving and making the current accounting and reporting process more efficient, using the QuickBooks applications.
The ideal candidate will be well-versed in accounting principles and able to work comfortably with numbers, with attention to detail.
You will also be responsible to train and mentor the local Cambodian bookkeeper to improve her accounting,reporting skills and analytical acumen.
Train and mentor the NGO’s bookkeeper on how to:
- Ensure a more efficient and effective usage of Quickbooks
- Export periodic backups of the QuickBooks data, create and maintain expenses and vendor records; including contact information, payment terms, and any other information required. Create and maintain employees contact information, including payroll, and related employment data.
- Improve, customize and memorize periodic reports for the Management and Board. These reports include account balances, profit and loss figures, and transactional reports.
- Use excel for reporting and presentation purposes.
- Help the bookkeeper improve her data analysis acumen.
- Start Dates: November 2017.
- Reporting to: In country Operations Manager.
- Minimum 3-month volunteering.
- Bachelor’s degree with bookkeeping or accounting courses required.
- Two – three years’ work experience in the role.
- Solid expertise on QuickBooks application.
- Work fluently with Microsoft Office, particularly Excel.
- Ability and knack for working with numerical data.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing.
Personal qualities and attitudes to be successful in the project:
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail.
- Flexible and proactive approach.
- Patient and capable to pass knowledge and expertise onto others.
- Work well independently and as part of a team.
What difference will you be able to make by the end of the project
- The goal is to contribute to the overall efficient operation of the accounting department and help the organization to maintain order and transparency for the company’s finances and be fully aware of its financial condition.
This way it can make the right decisions and accomplish long term success.
- Working for a reputable and trusted NGO in Siem Reap
- Leaving your legacy by passing your knowledge and expertise to an employee
- Experiencing the satisfaction of contributing to an organization that positively affects the lives of local people and communities;
- Doing all that in a pleasant and fun atmosphere with a team that is really looking forward to your stay here!
Other benefits provided for free by the Host Organization during your stay:
- Usage of office desk with WiFi
- Usage of office computer or laptop
The Host Organization – who we are and what we do
- This professional volunteer project will place you with a Cambodian Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO) registered with the Cambodian Ministry of Interior that since 2006 has been building and installing biosand water filters in rural communities in and around Siem Reap. These filters are household units that produce clean water directly from contaminated sources.
- The NGO is guided by Cambodian laws and honors and respects the Cambodian culture and its religion. We therefore expect the same from volunteers.
Working environment: what it’s going to be like professionally volunteer with us
- You will work five days a week, office hours, with two hours lunch break and report to the Operational Manager. The accounting department is based within the NGO offices in Siem Reap, about 3KM from city center and is staffed by one Bookkeeper.
- The NGO team is made of 15 employees, all of them Cambodians but two expats.You will be able to work within a friendly, open and informal environment.
- You will also have the opportunity to learn about the sand filter project, get involved with activities within the organization and, if weather conditions allow it, spend some time in local villages.
Other supportive information required by the Host Organization prior to your arrival.
Without the following, you will not be allowed on the project:
- Updated CV
- Passport copy
- Reference letter from at least one previous employer
- Photocopy of qualifications and certificates
- Proof of travel and medical insurance