Looking for an exciting internship opportunity? Help our social enterprise reach the next level! We are looking for a creative all-round designer to help us with a wide variety of visual, graphic and product design projects and contribute to strategic discussions on marketing and communication.
- Ideal for: Individuals with a minimum 2 year college degree in graphic design or related field and/or 2-5 year experience in a creative design position
- Project type: Unpaid internship
- Location: Siem Reap, Cambodia
- Duration: Minimum 3-6 months commitment
- Start dates: March onwards
- Reporting to: Director and Founder
- Working hours: Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM
- BS/MS degree in graphic design or related field and/or 2-5 year experience in the position
- Good command of the English language
- Demonstrable experience in graphic and/or product design together with the potential and attitude required to learn
- Out of the box-mentality, pro-active and creative across various fields of design
- Experience working with Adobe Creative Suite, Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop
Personal qualities and attitudes to be successful in the project
- An open and inquisitive attitude. We are a start-up, so you’ll likely end up doing work every now and then that has little to do with your specialisation.
- Flexibility and humor. This is Cambodia, nothing happens as planned. So we need someone who can roll with the punches and see the fun in experiences that sometimes come disguised as frustrating events…!
- Independent worker. You will get the guidance you want and need, but we will gladly give you the space to do your work independently.
- Creativity! We are looking for a colleague who enjoys creating new things, making beautiful products and images, who enjoys playing around with materials and can offer us a fresh look at the products we are already making.
- Have an aptitude for both the creative and business side of advertising and marketing.
Other supporting information required by the hosting organisation prior to your arrival.
- Reference letter from at least one previous employer
- Photocopy of qualifications and certificates
- Proof of travel and medical insurance
- Evidence of financial self-sustainability during the internship
- Criminal record check
- Develop professional branding, advertising campaigns and marketing messages (flyers, catalogues, packaging etc.) for all our product lines.
- Help create visual content for the website and social media platforms (photos, GIFS, videos)
- Have an understanding of latest adverting and marketing trends, and apply to Company’s brand where applicable
- Design new products for our zero-waste project
We will work together to achieve your personal goals for this project, be these work-related experiences, new skills, discovering Siem Reap, the Temples and Cambodia. We understand that your time in Cambodia is as much about your goals as it is about ours.
- Gain unique insights into the inner workings of a start-up that is slowly moving towards a new phase; developing a new brand and helping it establish itself;
- Experience the challenges of doing business in a developing Country;
- Discover the satisfaction of contributing to an organization that positively affects the lives of its employees in a pleasant and fun atmosphere with a team that is really looking forward to your stay here!
Other benefits provided for free by the hosted organization during your staying
- Usage of office desk with WiFI
- Usage of motorbike
- Reimbursement for costs of visa
What difference will you make?
We expect that by the end of your internship, you will have helped us:
- Develop marketing materials to present our products in a professional way and positively impact our sales performance;
- Create amazing graphics and video footage for social media and our website; as a business that sells mainly B2C, we strongly depend on imagery for (social) media to communicate with customers.
- Launch our zero-waste product line! This project is close to our heart because responsible manufacturing also means reducing waste. Currently, we are collecting our left-over materials but have not been able to turn these into new and exciting products.
- You will work five days a week, office hours, reporting to the Director and Founder. Our workshop is located in a small traditional wooden Khmer house, surrounded by palm trees and with two dogs called Max and Mickey. It is a shared workshop/office, meaning we are all in the same room and can enjoy easy access to each other.
- We are a social business, not an NGO and we see ourselves as picking up from where the NGO’s phase out: after schooling and training comes the need for a job. A proper one that brings with it all that we want from work: money as well as satisfaction and personal fulfilment.
- At the moment we are still in the start-up phase, so we are a small company and there is no profit to speak of. However, we did secure an investment which means there are funds available to further develop the business.
- Our production team consists of 5 Khmer women and is led by a contributing Khmer production manager. The founder/owner is the only foreigner working in the Company, together with the volunteer. And together, they basically do everything that is not related to production. As it goes in start-ups, this may vary from challenging projects that involve strategic planning, to small tasks as diverse as dropping off tax administration and posting on social media.
The Host Organization
- This professional internship project will place you with a Dutch – Cambodian social manufacturer of woollen indoor footwear. That’s right! We make woollen slippers in the tropics!
- We were established in 2015 out of the desire to set up business that is both social and profitable, and that supports a proper work-life balance for all their staff. Work can have an amazingly positive contribution to your life, but life isn’t simply all about work!
- Everything is being done from their Siem Reap based workshop, from design to product development and from sourcing to marketing
- They currently sell in Holland, Belgium, UK and Germany
How does this work in practice?
- We wanted to prove that investing in people and planet is not a nuisance but actually profitable: by taking care of our staff we get commitment and higher productivity in return. And by striving for environmental and sustainable solutions, a company actually becomes more innovative.
- We set out to create a company culture that is open, friendly and inspiring. We work with our staff on developing new skills and stimulate work in self-managing teams. But we also acknowledge that our staff have a life outside of work, and the two sometimes affect each other.
- Until now, we have only employed women due to nature of the work. In Cambodia, it is not common finding paid employment for women in particular, and it is generally challenging for them to balance the expectations at home with the responsibilities of a full-time job. Our open company cultures ensures that we are aware of what is going on in the lives of our staff, which allows us to respond when a staff member has issues finding safe daycare for a child for example, or has problems finding transportation to and from work.
- The fact that they have paid employment has a very positive effect on their personal lives that goes far beyond the obvious monetary improvement. Bringing in this money means their role and position in the family change as well. And that is where the structural change and development starts.