Get practical work experience in marketing and fair trade and volunteer for a well-established US-Cambodian social enterprise whose mission is to reduce the environmental impact of the tourism industry in Cambodia.
- Suitable for: University or Master Students
- Project type: Unpaid Educational Internship
- Location: Siem Reap, Cambodia
- Duration: Minimum 3 months
- Start date: Project is on-going, and you can join at any time, depending upon availability
- Working hours: 9.00 am to 5.00 pm from Monday to Friday
- Reports to: Founder and Director
- Develop strategies for how to engage with the wider Fair Trade community
- Develop marketing strategies to enhance current initiatives
- Write articles or blog to promote the organization in new publications
- Attend all team meetings and keep your team up to date on your tasks
- Update the website with a current list of supporters and partners
- Maintain Hubspot database with new orders and cooking oil collections
- Create Fair Trade in Cambodia document for company reference
- Minimum 2-year college degree, preferably Masters
- Excellent command of the English language
- Demonstrable real interest in marketing together with the potential and attitude required to learn
- Interest in environment and public health is an advantage
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and web-based applications
- Able to financially support yourself throughout the duration of the internship
- You will be required to provide your own laptop
- You will need to bring professional clothing to wear to work and to other meetings
- Minimum 3 months
Personal qualities and attitudes to be successful in the project
- Flexibility and spirit of adventure
- Ability to work with people different from you
- Passion for finding creative solutions that help the environment
- Ability to work both in a team on independently
- Task and goal oriented
- Copy of relevant qualifications
- Reference letter – nice to have
- Copy of passport
- Necessary vaccinations
- Necessary flight & visas
- Full travel & medical insurance
An internship in Cambodia can be a greatly rewarding experience.
- Learning opportunity– Gain hands-on experience, acquire relevant skills for your future career and learn new ones. You will get exposure to different ways of doing things as in project management, conflict resolution, problem solving, cultural diversity.
- Become a world citizen– Get out and live in another country and will gain insight into a fascinating culture, complex social issues.
- Make an impact– You will experience the satisfaction of contributing to an organization that positively affects the lives of local people and communities
- Bicycle for the duration your stay in Siem Reap
- Free Khmer language lessons
- Eco-friendly travel kit
- Training on biodiesel production, soap production, and plastic recycling
- Team building activities and group outings
- Support with any cultural or administrative needs in Siem Reap
- Introduction to the Siem Reap non profit and Social Enterprise community
- Safe, impactful, and enjoyable place to work
- As the organization is a small team with many projects there is no such thing as an average day or even an average month.
- Marketing interns assist on a range of tasks that can include: managing and promoting fundraisers and events, providing input on product marketing material, drafting social media posts, writing news articles, meeting potential supporters or clients, attending team meetings, and performing administrative tasks as needed.
The Host Organization
- You will volunteer for a ten year-old social enterprise based in Siem Reap Cambodia focused on reducing the environmental impact of the tourism industry.
- The organizations collects waste plastic, paper and cooking oil, and up cycles it into high quality and useful products. The produced soap made from used cooking oil is provided to rural communities with the help of nonprofit partners.