Hone your operational and people management skills in an international context while supervising the daily operations of a Boarding School Residence in the city of Siem Reap, Cambodia.
- Ideal for: Individuals with experience in running a range of operations, with professional background in business, international development, education and not for profit management.
- Project type: Unpaid volunteer position
- Location: Siem Reap, Cambodia
- Duration: Minimum 3 months, maximum 24 months commitment
- Start Dates: Project is ongoing, and you can join at any time, depending upon availability.
- Included: pick up from airport, accommodation, meals, transportation
- Reporting to: You will report directly to the Organization’s Managing Director and work in partnership with the Program Manager.
- Onsite Facility Supervision
You will oversee the daily operations of the Boarding School, which houses 21 teenage Cambodian students, 2 local staff and teachers, occasional expat volunteers and 2 lovely dogs! This primarily involves ensuring the security and safety of the premises. It will also require overseeing and delegating tasks to keep the school clean, functional and suitable for the students to live at. You will help administer finances for repairs, maintenance, student needs and any other bills the school incurs. You will also be responsible for a simple monthly submission of a monthly expenditure record.
- Student Supervision
You will ensure all people live peacefully in a safe, secure and nurturing environment. While most of our students are self-sufficient, from time-to-time, the position will require overseeing the well-being of the students. Duties include supervision of boarders’ personal hygiene, reporting any cases of illness to the Program Manager, ensuring that any medication required by a boarder is recorded and dispensed appropriately, checking the facility before retiring for the night, and monitoring the whereabouts and activities of students. From time to time, you will be required to coordinate transportation, overseeing events and helping students with their studies.
- Volunteer Coordination
The School has a small volunteer program where at various times we have 1-3 short term volunteers for 3-5 week periods. Working with the Program Manager, you will help ensure their stay is comfortable at the school in Siem Reap, supervise them during their stay and help them get involved in our program.
- Donor Visits
The School also has prospect or actual donors visiting their facilities from time to time. Your duties will also require short tours of the school by interested parties.
- Minimum age: To apply for this project, you must be at least 24 years old on the program start date.
- Work Experience: At least 3 years work experience relevant to the volunteer project (e.g. operations manager, health & safety manager). Former experience as educator, teacher or boarding school manager is a plus.
- Language Skills: You need to speak English (fluently)
- Education Requirements: Educated to degree level or equivalent those without a degree and with relevant experience and expertise may also apply
- Nationality Restrictions: No restrictions. Volunteers from all over the world are welcome.
- Other Skills : International driving license and/or ability to drive a scooter – nice to have
- Suitable for: Singles, (no groups, no families)
- Criminal record check to prove that you have no former issues dealing with minors
- References from at least 2 previous employers
- Photocopy of qualifications
- Copy of passport
- Copy of health and travel insurance
Personal qualities and attitudes to be successful in the project
- Excellent people management skills – Able to empathize and communicate effectively with diverse set of people, with a friendly and outgoing personality
- Sound decision maker – mature, who can show evidence of wisdom and sound judgment
- Action oriented – “roll-up-my-sleeves” hands-on attitude, energetic, independent, self-reliant and resourceful
- Flexible – able to adapt and fit in a different culture
- Strong work ethic – Responsible, trustworthy and dedicated to safeguarding the welfare of our students.
- A good sense of humor… always helps!
This is a unique opportunity to volunteer with 21 Cambodian teenager students, 2 local staff and teachers, occasional expat volunteers, 2 lovely dogs and be in charge of the well-being and safety of all people living and working at the school facilities.
- Expand your professional skills in an international context, honing your super visioning , operations management and people’s management skills.
- Go beyond your comfort zone – You will gain insight into a fascinating culture, complex social issues and how you can personally influence positive change in the lives of Cambodian people.
- Learn how a locally rooted not for profit organization handles the complex issues surrounding education of minors living in a disadvantaged environment a developing country.
- Becoming a world citizen – You will live and work in a World Heritage town.
What is included?
Preparation, travel assistance, and onboarding:
- We will coordinate the drafting and signature of a Volunteer Project Scope of Work prior to your departure, to ensure method of work, goals, outcomes and, overall, your volunteer experience is meaningful and aligned with your expectations.
- We will provide advice regarding flights, visas, vaccinations, insurance, cost of living, essential items and anything else you will need before you set off.
- We will pick you up at the Siem Reap airport upon your arrival and bring you to our Boarding School Accommodation.
- We will provide a cultural induction, a child protection policy induction and connect you with any other support you may need to settle in.
As part of your volunteering duties, you are requested to reside at the proposed accommodation, which is within the Boarding School facilities and made available to you at no extra cost. The school is located in central Siem Reap and is close to many restaurants and cafes. You will be provided with a comfortable single bedroom within the school facilities that includes:
- Air conditioning
- Personal bathroom with shower
- Weekly change of bed linen and towels
- Onsite laundry facility
- You will be provided with 2 meals per day, cooked at our school kitchen facility.
- We can accommodate vegan and vegetarian requirements, if needed.
Other benefits we offer you to make your staying more comfortable:
- A bicycle
- A local SIM card
- Advice and help on getting your visa extended or renewed
- Reference letter: At the completion of your volunteer assignment, we will provide you with a valuable reference to showcase your professional impact whilst here in Cambodia.
What is not included
You will need to cover the cost of your own on flights, insurance, vaccinations, and visa, plus any additional food, drink and incidental expenses during your stay
- Typical working hours will be from 8.00 am to 5.00 pm, from Monday to Friday, with a two-hour lunch break. However, we would ask for the flexibility to be on call 24/7, in case of unplanned emergencies.
Free time activities
- Siem Reap and the surrounding countryside have a variety of different activities for visitors and expats living in the area.
- Activities range from visiting the world’s largest temples at Angkor Wat, stop by a local countryside farm where you’ll learn how to cook traditional Khmer food, check into a local yoga retreat for a relaxing stay, lounge poolside at the many resorts in Siem Reap or take a trip to Kulen Mountain where you’ll find an abundance of pristine wildlife.
- Siem Reap also has a bustling art/cultural scene with events happening almost every weekend.
The Host Organization
Founded in 2014, the Boarding School is a grassroots, USA registered, non-profit education reality focused on educating less-fortunate children from the Kulen Mountain, a rural area 45 minutes’ drive from Siem Reap, Cambodia. They offer free boarding school facilities to selected Cambodian students who have graduated from their two countryside primary schools and are continuing their education at the public secondary school in the City and are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of our students.