Purse your passion of protecting the environment and improving public health by volunteering for a well established social enterprise whose mission is to reduce the environmental impact of the tourism industry in Cambodia.
- Suitable for: Engineer – Volunteers or Interns
- Project type: Unpaid volunteer position
- Location: Siem Reap, Cambodia
- Duration: Minimum 3 months
- Start date: Project is on-going, and you can join at any time, depending upon availability
- Working hours: 9.00 am to 5.00 pm from Monday to Friday
- Reports to: Founder and Director
- Helping the production of biodiesel and soap which is made from upcycled used cooking oil.
- Biodiesel testing and quality control
- Operating methanol recovery system
- Assisting in new plastic recycling program by providing input on machine and product design.
- Engineering background (or equivalent experience)
- and/or engineering students with more than 2 years of university education.
- Language Skills: Fluency in English
- Necessary vaccinations
- Necessary flight & visas
- Full travel & medical insurance
- Minimum 3 months
- We do not do “voluntourism”. We are proud to be working with sustainable and responsible projects where volunteers can make a real impact. Volunteering for only a couple of days will unfortunately not achieve the level of impact we envision for the organization or in the communities they serve. In some cases, short-term volunteering may disrupt the schedule and objectives of the project
Personal qualities and attitudes to be successful in the project
- Flexibility and spirit of adventure
- Ability to work with people different from you
- Passion for finding creative solutions that help the environment
- Ability to work both in a team on independently
- Task and goal oriented
- Copy of passport
- Copy of relevant qualifications
- Proof of travel and health insurance
- Vaccination booklet
- Professional references from at least one former employer
- Expand your professional skills – Volunteer alongside a team of passionate and experienced engineers
- Go beyond your comfort zone – You will more than likely get exposure to different ways of doing things, including project management, conflict resolution, problem solving and cultural diversity.
- Become a world citizen – You will gain insight into a fascinating culture, complex social issues and how you can personally influence positive change in the lives of Cambodian people.
- Bicycle for the duration your stay in Siem Reap
- Free Khmer language lessons
- Eco-friendly travel kit
- In-depth training on biodiesel production, soap production, and plastic recycling
- Networking opportunities
- Team building activities
- You will work from Monday to Friday from 9.00 am to 5.00 pm with 2 hours lunch time for a lunch with your co-workers.
- On the weekends, you will be able to enjoy your free time and explore at your leisure, as well as during public holidays.
The Host Organization
- You will volunteer for a ten year-old social enterprise based in Siem Reap Cambodia focused on reducing the environmental impact of the tourism industry.
- The organizations collects waste plastic, paper and cooking oil, and upcycle them into high quality and useful products. The produced soap made from used cooking oil is provided to rural communities
$290 one-off Project Fee to be paid to confirm your placement and start the onboarding process
- Assist you in getting ready – We will provide you a list of things to do and bring in your luggage prior to your departure.
- Pick you up at Siem Reap Airport – We will pick you up at the airport upon your arrival and bring you to our accommodation.
- Welcome you on board – We’ll offer a cultural induction and orientation tour to help you settle in.
- Reference letter – At the completion of your volunteering, we will provide you with a valuable reference to showcase your professional impact whilst here in Cambodia.
What’s not included
You will need to cover the cost on your own on flights, travel and health insurance, vaccinations, visa, and living costs.