Teach English as a Second Language for a non-profit education and youth-leadership organization based in Siem Reap and assist the Program Manager to improve the charity’s English Curriculum.
- Ideal for: Individuals with fluent English who have experience teaching English, are passionate about education and youth empowerment, and are willing to work closely with local English teachers.
- Project type: Unpaid volunteer position
- Location: Siem Reap, Cambodia
- Duration: Minimum 2 months volunteering
- Start date: ASAP
- Working hours: Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM
- Allowance: bicycle (and helmet) provision, airport pick-up and drop-off, and use of a laptop while at work. The organization will also provide orientation to Siem Reap, visa advice, and a farewell party
- Reporting to: Program Manager
- Ensure proper English usage, with a focus on speaking abilities and pronunciation among local English teachers and students.
- Help review and update lesson plans.
- Minimum 1 years’ work experience teaching English with children
- Must be completely fluent in English (native speakers preferred)
- Basic Microsoft Office skills preferred
Personal qualities and attitudes to be successful in the project
- Proactive, flexible, passionate about education and youth empowerment
- Willing to experience working in development and/or cross-cultural contexts
- Able and willing to work independently and in a team
- Gain experience in improving program standards in order to raise funds and improve accountability and consistency within a dynamic and impact-driven environment.
- Direct experience with students and their communities.
- Airport pick-up and drop-off
- Bicycle (and helmet) provision
- Use of a laptop while at work
- Orientation to Siem Reap
- Visa advice
- Farewell party
- In joining the team, you will be an integral part of a small (12-person) staff, which is mostly made up of Cambodians (except for one other foreigner heading the Communications Department). While this means you have a lot of responsibility, it also allows for a degree of autonomy and creativity.
- The charity’s staff is proud of the passion and community that binds team members (and students) together, and the positive atmosphere this creates at the office.
The Host Organization
- You will volunteer for a Cambodia-based non-profit education and youth-leadership organization that is working to fight poverty, high dropout rates, low awareness of the value of higher education, and illegal migration. The charity works with Cambodian youth in rural areas to make them aware of their own potential and support them academically, financially, mentally, and physically.