Are you an independent , self- reliable and with spirit of adventure volunteer interested in educational development and travelling with purpose? Gain hands-on experience teaching local children in a kindergarten alongside local staff whilst experiencing life on remote islands in Cambodia.
- Suitable for: individual, couples, group of 4 people. Over 24 years old.
- Project type: Unpaid volunteer position
- Location: Koh Rong Island and Koh Rong Sanloem Island, Cambodia
- Duration: Minimum 4 weeks, maximum 6 weeks
- Start date: Project is on-going from November until May and you can join at any time, depending upon availability.
- Working hours: 7.30 am to 5.00 pm from Monday to Saturday – Sundays are off
- Reports to: local teachers
You will assist teachers attending 3-5 years old children at the kindergarten. Your responsibilities will consist in
- Assisting in planning and preparing materials relating to the school’s specific needs
- Providing one-on-one support for children who need extra help with activities
- Teaching activities particularly relating to life skills and enrichment activities under the direction of a teacher
- Coordinating activities and resources relating to the school’s specific needs
- Helping sustain the school activities through social media and fundraising, crowdfunding activities
- 7:00 am – Breakfast at your accommodation
- 7:30 am – Teaching
- 11.00 am – End of School day
- 11.30 am– 03.00 pm Free time
- 03.00 pm – 05.00 pm – social media and crowdfunding activities
- After 05.00 pm – Free time
- Minimum age 24
- Former experience as a teacher or educator or working with children
- Language Skills: Fluency in English
- Social media and digital marketing nice to have
Personal qualities and attitudes to be successful in the project
- Flexibility and spirit of adaptation
- Ability to work with people different from you
- A caring and patient nature
- Humor. This is Cambodia, nothing happens as planned. So we need someone who can roll with the punches and see the fun in experiences that sometimes come disguised as frustrating events…!
- Copy of passport
- Copy of relevant qualifications
- and/or Professional references from at least one former employer
- Necessary flight & visas
- Proof of travel and health insurance
- Vaccination booklet
- Criminal Records check – this is mandatory to work with vulnerable children
- Make an impact – Gain hands-on experience teaching local children in a kindergarten alongside local staff whilst experiencing life on island in Cambodia.
- Go beyond your comfort zone – Working and living in a remote island surrounded by nature will teach you how to adapt to a basic lifestyle.
- Become a world citizen – You will get to know the amazing islands of Koh Rong and Koh Rong Sanloem, its people, culture, food and environment.
The Host Organization
- This project is located at an International child-focused organization whose mission is to provide disadvantaged children better opportunities in life through free education.
- Every child deserves the best possible start in life, and education is of primary importance for success. Unfortunately for a variety of reasons, children in the remote Islands of Cambodia, Koh Rong and Koh Rong Sanloem are not getting the necessary quality education they need.
- The Host Organization works with several pre-primary schools in area and allows you to encourage small children to learn and to grow by teaching them not only language and communication skills but also influencing them with new ideas which can help them flourish in the future.
$290 USD one-off Placement Fee to be paid to confirm your placement and start the onboarding process.
- Assist you in getting ready – We will provide you a list of things to do and bring in your luggage prior to your departure.
- Help you with the logistics –We will help you book clean and comfortable accomodations and reserve local transportation (bus to Sihanoukville and ferry to the islands).
- Pick you up at Phnom Penh Airport – We will pick you up at the airport upon your arrival and bring you to our accommodation.
- Welcome you on board – We’ll offer a cultural induction and orientation tour to help you settle in.
- Reference letter – At the completion of your volunteering, we will provide you with a valuable reference to showcase your professional impact whilst here in Cambodia.
What’s not included
You will need to cover the cost on your own on flights, travel and health insurance, vaccinations, visa, and living costs.
You should budget approximately $1.000 / a month for accomodation, meals and transportation.
- $ 50/ day Accomodation in Phnom Penh
- $ 15/ day Accomodation in the island for a basic room
- OR $ 30/day Accomodation in the island for a room with air conditioning and hot water
- $ 28 Bus from Phnom Penh to Sihanoukville/ return
- $ 28 Ferry from Sihanoukville to the island / return
- Approximately $15/day for food